Davis Math Mastery
Davis® Math Mastery provides tools to correct problems learning math. These learning problems are sometimes called dyscalculia and can often accompany dyslexia and ADHD symptoms.
The Davis approach goes to the root issues that cause some people to have problems understanding and learning math with traditional teaching methods. Visual-spatial thinkers are often confused by the words and symbols which describe math functions. When the foundation concepts for understanding all mathematics are mastered, learning math becomes easy.
Like Davis Dyslexia Correction®, the first step in Davis Math Mastery is to enable children and adults to control disorientation. Once students can be sure that their perceptions are accurate, they can resolve any confusions about math with methods that build upon their creative and imaginative strengths.
The length of a Davis Math Mastery program varies, depending on the needs of the individual. Usually, the Facilitator will schedule 5 to 8 days. Less time may be required if the client has already completed a basic Davis Dyslexia Correction program. The program is appropriate for children age 8 and over, and adults of any age.
Basic Outline of a Davis Math Mastery Program:
- Davis Perceptual Ability Assessment and Symptoms Profile Interview
- Davis Orientation Counseling®
- Mastery of basic language symbols, as needed
- Introduction to Davis Symbol Mastery®
- Mastery of the foundation concepts underlying all mathematics: Change, Cause-Effect, Before-After, Consequence, Time, Sequence, and Order vs. Disorder
- Davis Math Function Exercises: Twelve exercises which quickly lead to competency with dividing three-place numbers including decimals.
- Symbol Mastery practice on Story Problem Trigger Words: For example the word “by.” The common meaning in everyday language would be “close to.” There are two separate meanings which must be mastered for accurate comprehension in math — for multiplication the meaning would be “using as a multiplier,” and for division the meaning would be “into groups of.”
- Comprehension practice reading story problems, as needed.
- Symbol Mastery on Key glossary words of math text book, if needed.
- Results Assessment Interview .
- Support training for teachers, tutors, parents and helpers.
- A Student Backpack Kit with a manual and materials necessary for successful follow-up to the program. (Follow up consists of mastering the meanings of 21 “trigger words” which describe math functions.)
- For more information, see: Davis Math Mastery Standards
This program is currently available online from many Davis Facilitators. For more information, see Online Program Delivery (Pilot Program).
Share this page!