Davis Reading Program for Young Learners
The Best Start: Young learners deserve the best start we can give them. Strong research evidence suggests that children who are exposed to Davis methods at pre-reading or primary level (age 5-7) benefit in the following ways:
- They are highly unlikely to develop a learning difficulty.
- They are significantly more likely to qualify for gifted program referrals.
- Their basic word recognition will be among the highest levels expected for their age group.
The Davis® Reading Program for Young Learners is an individualized learning enhancement program with a licensed and trained Davis Facilitator. During the program, the Facilitator will work directly with the child, and at the same time provide hands-on training and guidance to a participating parent or other family member.
The program goal is to give children aged 5-7 the best possible start at the outset of their learning career. Its aims are:
- to provide lifelong learning skills to younger children through a partnership between Facilitator, child and parent(s)
- to give one or both of the child’s parents, or a support person, sufficient confidence and skill to continue working with the Davis Young Learner’s Kit after the program
- to provide children with the conceptual skills needed to develop reading fluency and comprehension.
The Davis Reading Program for Young Learners provides important tools to beginning readers. Through the unique partnership philosophy of the program, parents or other family members gain the skills needed to provide the child with ongoing quality support. Learning techniques and activities are keyed to the developmental level of the child, so the child experiences success in a fun and playful setting. Through active participation in the program, the parent gains the knowledge and tools needed to continue supporting the child’s learning at home.
As part of the program, students will always receive the Davis Young Learner Kit for Home Use, to be used at home to follow up with the program. The parent will be provided the instruction manual from the kit at the start of the program.
Typically, the Facilitator will schedule 25-30 hours of time with the student and parent, with daily sessions of no more than three hours. At least half or more of the program time will also include the parent or support person participating in helping the child with the new skills and techniques.
- For more information, Davis Reading Program for Young Learners Program Standards.
Share this page!