Testing for adults


Where can an adult get tested for dyslexia?


There are two types of testing that adults who think they are dyslexic may want to consider:

  • dyslexia screening, or
  • full assessment services.

Dyslexia screening is ordinarily done as a first step toward getting help by a provider of services geared to dyslexia, and is generally not expensive. For example, Davis Dyslexia Correction providers use a screening test called the Davis Perceptual Ability Assessment. Together with your own description of your symptoms and problems – the possible signs you have noticed – this Assessment will help determine whether Davis methods are likely to help you.

Full assessment services will give you a more complete picture of various learning issues and problems you may have. This sort of assessment is needed if you want to get special accommodations at school or at work, or are concerned about possible workplace discrimination.

This sort of testing is more expensive, but also gives a more detailed measurement of what sort of problems you have. On the other hand, the providers of this sort of assessment generally will not provide you with specific remediation or other help, although they may make some generalized suggestions or recommendations.

To find out where you can get this sort of assessment, you might want to try the following resources:

  • If you are a college student, your college or university may have a student disabilities services office that can refer you for testing.
  • If you are in the military, testing for learning disabilities may be available free of charge.
  • You might be able to get a referral for low or reduced cost testing through a local Adult Literacy Group or Vocational Rehab services.
  • In some cases, testing might be available via a medical referral – check with your health plan or physician as to this possibility.

Common Characteristics of Adult Dyslexia

Common Characteristics of Adult Dyslexia

Most adult dyslexics will exhibit at least 10 of the following traits and behaviors. These characteristics are often inconsistent, and may vary depending upon the day or situation. Career: Employed in job/position that will hide difficulties...


  • Nancy L

    I think I really have dyslexia my whole life I wonder that’s why they haded to to me and IEP when I started high school. In middle school they actually did a IEP for me but as I remember they did’t did that much I was struggling in school I couldn”t understand what the teachers will be talking about any subject from the classwork when I read something I have to read it over and over because I don’t understand what i”m reading same with watching a video and need to take notes at the same time I couldn”t do both things at the same time because I will forget everything. So When I went to High School from 9 to 11 i had the hardest years of my life I was in regular classes with more than 30 kids it was so hard for me to concentrate so they open up again my IEP and they did a evaluation and they saw that i was having learning problems so they put me in Special Education Classes with a small group students about maybe 10 and one teacher so i will have more help from the teacher.. But after high school until now I’m still struggling on to understand what I read, spelling, grammer It’s really hard for me to know that been a 35 year old woman is stressful to not be able to to do all this things I want help I really do, I feel like been like this it won’t take me no where to success in the future.

  • Charles

    I’m at an age of 71 and I’ve always struggled writing, spelling, maths and concentration, I learned how to hide it and had a good, enjoyable career but it’s always held me back, in my career any socially.
    I would like to know if I’m dyslexic, I don’t need help, I just like too know.

  • Ann


  • gary a

    I think I have it I have struggled all my life would like get tested and maybe see get it fixed got golds like to do

  • Laura M

    Hi there I feel I have always been dyslexia and also my two children. I’m 53 years old. And I really would like to find out more information. So I can help my son and daughter. I try to break this shameful though in my mind . Help !!

  • Rachely M

    Hi I’m Rachely,
    I’m fairly sure, I’m dyslexic (90 % sure). I’m 30, and I have experienced a high amount of all the points above listed. Do you know where could I get help in Belgium?

  • Toya Fredericks


    I would like more support with my dyslexia as I have minimum concentration! See words backwards etc… I’d they’d a certificate that I can get stating this for my job so I can get all the support I need at work etc

  • Catherine M

    I need help with my dyslexia how do l get

  • Jerry S

    My name Jerry and I am 61 yrs old I think I have dyslexia i need help in learning how to live with it .
    All my life I was told I was stupid ,.eversense I have been running from it .only when I got married my wife seen it and said to me that I have dyslexia!!!
    I Need HElP !! Can you help me Please !!

  • Carol

    My work place are holding my writing skills against me and im worried they will get rid of me. I’ve read the info on adult dyslexia and do have some of them traits , does work have to support me and provide assistance

  • Gary g

    Think I have always been dyslexia.never have read a book in life.cant remember names, cannot commit to single task.problems with words ,spelling. Maths.can only learn in small bits.at time at own pace.read short articles only.intrest jump from one thing to another.gary..

  • Cherie F

    I’m a 52 year old lady, I would like to be tested or helped with dyslexia, Need help I’m tried of faking it .

    • Abigail Marshall, DDAI webmaster

      Cherie, Davis programs can help at any age — so if you are looking for help, a good first step would be to call a Davis Facilitator to schedule a consultation. You’ll find complete international listings at https://www.davismethod.org/

Leave a public question or comment:

If you need personal help or assistance please use our contact forms instead.

All comments are moderated. Comments that are not relevant to the page topic or which contain identifiable personal information will be removed.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *