Who can diagnose


What kind of professional is qualified to diagnose dyslexia?


In most cases, testing for dyslexia  is done by a licensed educational psychologist. Neurologists and other medical professionals may also be qualified to provide a formal diagnosis.

In the U.S., children who are having difficulties in school are legally entitled to request evaluation through their local school district. Parents can start the process by writing a letter to the school principal requesting evaluation for learning disabilities.

It is important to keep in mind that dyslexia is not a disease or an identifiable physical condition. Rather, it is a learning style that usually can be assessed through a profile that shows whether the child has a typical pattern of strengths and weaknesses, coupled with assessment to rule out other possible causes of symptoms, such as vision or hearing problems.

Formal assessment is usually necessary before a child can qualify for special services from his school, but it is not a prerequisite for getting help independently for specific academic problems such as reading difficulties.

Be aware that some individuals who claim to offer diagnostic testing services do not have the sort of educational credentials that would be seen as acceptable by schools or other agencies.

There are some fee-based services available online that may provide an informative report, but would not be accepted as providing an official diagnosis or documentation of dyslexia or any other learning disability.

Screenings geared to specific programs or treatments usually are not a substitute for formal diagnostic services.  However, a formal diagnosis is not always needed.  The main benefit of a formal diagnosis is that it can qualify a person to receive services or accommodations at their school or university, and may also be helpful to protect against workplace discrimination.


(Answer by Abigail Marshall)


  • Kathleen A

    My Grandchild 7 yrs old second gr. ,Needs testing for Dyslexia or other learning disability..His Very high quality Public Charter school is giving him extra help but does not do testing…Where can We go for help?

  • Jessica

    My daughter just turned 7 and is in first grade. She is having difficulty with phonics and reading and I just received her first progress report for the year. She is progressing toward grade level in all ,but the reading and phonics as stated above. She is now receiving extra help at school with another teacher. They are not sure if she is desylexic, but I noticed in kindergarten she was having problems too. I feel helpless when reading with her at home. She gets so upset if she doesn’t know a word or if she writes a letter backwards while writing spelling words. She is so mature and having a conversation with her, is like talking to an adult. How can I help her with her confidence while doing homework. She is amazing, she is an old soul and beyond smart. She is starting to get more frustrated and not liking school due to this issue. How can I get her screened. God made her special and there is no denying that… I want her to see it.

Leave a public question or comment:

If you need personal help or assistance, please use our contact forms instead.

All comments are moderated. Comments that are not relevant to the page topic or which contain identifiable personal information will not be published.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *